Welcome to City of Refuge
A Safe Place for Pregnant Women
We are a home for women and teens who choose to give their baby the ultimate gift...LIFE. At City of Refuge you will find not only safe shelter in a peaceful rural environment, but a caring community to share life with. You'll have the opportunity to grow spiritually while participating in daily home life, counseling, life skills training, parenting classes and education. We understand that no one really parents alone. If you are feeling alone, come and find a loving community to help and support you during this exciting and challenging time.
City of Refuge exists to provide you with the opportunity to have your baby while living in a place of safety and security. Coming here is an opportunity for you to consider a new direction in life. Whether it’s preparing to parent, or finding help seeking a loving adopting family, we want to help you say YES to life because saying yes is the most precious gift you can give.
Friends of Refuge
⯈ Carson Valley United Methodist Women
⯈ Emmanuel Reformed Baptist Church
⯈ Reformed Baptist Church of Riverside
Mission & Ministry
City of Refuge is a Christian home and our faith is woven through all we do. Caring for moms and their babies is our effort to live out our Lord's command to love our God with all our heart, soul, strength and mind and to love our neighbor as ourselves. Biblical truths are routinely taught and lived out in our community. We practice a daily group devotional life and attend services weekly at Grace Community Church in Minden, NV. Regular biblical counseling is provided to help moms explore how God's call affects all of life. All services offered at City of Refuge are free of charge. Our generous donors provide for all of our household needs.
We realize that every mom's needs are unique, so each mom is treated according to her individual situation. While living at City of Refuge, moms can participate in a variety of activities toward personal growth. Every mom is provided with parenting classes through Life Choices Pregnancy Center and all agree to participate actively and cheerfully in our home life and to work on personal goals set during the interview process.
At City of Refuge we honor adoption as a loving choice. Moms considering adoption are provided a safe and supportive environment as they explore this possibility. Moms have a community that loves and cares for them through the whole process. We have been blessed to support many moms through beautiful open adoptions during our years of service.
City of Refuge is located in the beautiful Pinenut Valley of Carson Valley, NV. It is quiet and away from the hustle and bustle of the everyday world. It truly is REFUGE. Our home is for moms to come apart for a while and prepare for a new direction in life while enjoying the care of a community in a safe and structured environment. Moms are provided with everyday needs such as food, clothes and semi-private rooms.
In August of 1993 City of Refuge was formed as a 501(c)3 corporation in Nevada as we began looking for land suitable to build a many bedroom home. Stoddard Jacobsen heard of our project and donated 40 acres in honor of his wife, Jewel Jacobsen. The Jewel Jacobsen Grove is a memorial to her and Stoddard's generosity. Our first home was built through the generous efforts of many individuals and local contractors. Our current ministry home was built in 2006 and was the generous gift of local contractor Jack White.
City of Refuge is a non-profit Nevada corporation qualified under the IRS Code 501(c)3 and does not receive money from any governmental agency or institution. We are supported by tax deductible donations from private individuals, churches and private foundations. City of Refuge is administered by a self governing Board of Trustees who serve without pay. The Board members include: J.D. & Christine Sullivan, Pastor Brian Borgman, Pastor Vic Rice, Patti Romanelli and Steve and Mollie Nugent.
There are several ways to support us:
- Pray - Pray that God would bless our efforts to provide a safe place for women and their babies and that we would be examples of the Grace of Jesus Christ to these women.
- Help - We have multiple opportunities for you to help. Just call 775-782-2034.
- Tangible items - For a list of items important to new and expectant moms please call 775-782-2034.
- Tell others about our needs - See the list below.
- Keep praying
- Get on our mailing list - If you would like to be added to our mailing list please send an email to Mollie Nugent at RefugeNev@gmail.com.
- Financial support - Refuge relies on giving for the support of those we serve. You can contribute by sending a check to:
City of Refuge
PO Box 2663
Gardnerville, NV 89410
by giving online through PayPal.
City of Refuge Needs list:
- Slippers & pajamas in all sizes
- Single bed sheets & pillow cases
- Walmart or Target gift cards for personal items
- Costco & grocery store gift cards
- Newborn & preemie diapers
- Newborn up to 12 months baby clothes
- Volunteers for art, music, craft or other instruction
- Volunteers for household repairs and facility maintenance
- Reliable vehicles for moms transitioning into the workforce